I love photography books and this year for FotoWeek DC I was part of the Photobook/Publisher Exhibition Committee. Over 250 books are being displayed this week at FotoWeek DC on M Street in Georgetown from over 50 publishers. A unique inclusion this year, spearheaded by myself, are the Photography.Book.Now 2009 Winners. What amazing work! Congratulations to all the winners.
“Photography.Book.Now is an international juried self-published book competition, and a celebration of the most creative, most innovative, and finest photography books – and the people behind them.” The competition organized by Blurb and run by lead judge Darius Himes considers self-published books in three categories – Fine Art, Editorial and Commercial. More than 2400 submissions from 50 countries were entered in the competition. Rafal Milach, the Grand Prize Winner, won $25,000. Coincidentally, the FotoWeek DC exhibition InsideOutside: New Images from Russia, curated by Lucian Perkins, includes work by Rafal Milach.
- Black Sea of Concrete by Rafal Milach – Grand Prize Winner
- People’s Park by Kurt Tong – Editorial Category Winner
- Pose by Andrea Stultiens – Editorial Category 1st Runner Up
- In Case It Rains in Heaven by Kurt Tong – Editorial Category 2nd Runner Up
- F Ampersand by Duwayno Robertson – Editorial Category People’s Choice Award
- i sell fish. by Joshua Deaner – Fine Art Category Winner
- Some Fox Trails in Virginia by Susan Worsham – Fine Art Category 1st Runner Up
- +walker evans +sherrie levine by Hermann Zschiegner – Fine Art Category 2nd Runner Up
- Capturing the Light by Lewis Kemper – Fine Art Category People’s Choice Award
- Volume One by Dennis Kleiman – Commercial Category Winner
- Editorial Stories by Michael Creagh – Commerical Category 1st Runner Up
- portfolio by Sara Lando – Commercial Category 2nd Runner Up
- JASON JOSEPH photography by Jason Joseph – Commercial Category People’s Choice Award